Friday 24 December 2010

Merry Christmas



'Tis the night before Christmas, and all through the house,
Not a creature is stirring......

The children have had their stir of the Christmas pudding, made their wish and gone off to bed, and now the pudding sits steaming on the wood stove, two hours gone, two more to go. While they sleep and dream of Father Christmas the tree lights up the lounge room. We bought this tree as a seedling when we moved to this house, and we bring it inside every Christmas. Before long it will reach the ceiling, and then we shall take it out of its pot and plant it into the ground, and we shall buy a new tree. It has grown with the children, and we all take great pleasure in decorating it every year.




The star atop out tree is not gold, but it is precious to us. I made it when the kids were small, and one day they will tell their children, "You're Da made that!" I am in no hurry for that day to come, because each year my children hunt through the decorations for "Daddy's Star", and the tree is only finished when I put the star in place.




Christmas is not complete without Mika's wreath hanging beside the door. She uses the prunings from our cypress trees, and holly from the local community hall garden (Yes, she even asked permission!).


In the morning, if the children have been good of course, their stockings will be full of presents, the last job for Father Christmas before he goes to bed.


So, whither so ever scattered over the earths broad surface you may be, I wish you a peaceful and blessed Christmas.


Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!


7 comments:

  1. merry christmas euan, i have enjoyed seeing your exploits this year...so have a super season and here's to a great new year..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet your children are so exited (just like I am now at my age!). Have a wonderful time! x m

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas Maki,
    I wish you a blessed 2011/.
    All the best,
    Euan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Ang,
    I look forward to sharing our exploits in 2011 with you.
    God bless,
    Euan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading about your work and everyday observations. However this Star seemed so interesting that I´d love to hear/read more about what kind of craft went into making this?

    Cheers, Andreas.
    Long time reader, first time commenter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Andreas,
    I'll see what I can do about a "How to make Star" blog entry for you.
    All the best,
    Euan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Beginnings, Euan. I have just stumbled upon your blog from a link in a Ceramics Monthly Magazine. I must say, as a blossoming craftswoman and artist, that I find your writing and work inspiring. It is refreshing to see someone who is dedicated to the function of art as a means to foster close relationships.
    Peace to you and your kin
    Carol.

    ReplyDelete