Thursday 4 June 2009

Vanished

I spent hours last night writing an entry to create a word picture for you. It described my day in fine detail from the rising of the sun to laying down my head to rest. I hit the publish button and it vanished as completely as if it had never been. Only the first paragraph remained, truncated. I decided it was late and I would do best to sleep and rework it in the morning. It did make me laugh though.

We live our lives like that, we experience the world and engrave it in our hearts. No one can see the world as we do, feel our feelings or know all the moments of our souls. When the day, the hour, the instant is gone it remains only in our minds eye.

When I make pots, I give form to my feelings about those moments. I try to share the joy that I feel in living by creating vessels that will enrich other peoples moments. Long after my day is gone, those pots will continue to touch peoples lives and hopefully bring them happiness. I will not know. My own happiness is here today, every moment of my life. It is the sum of all that I have learned and have become through my experiences, and it is the gratitude I feel for the blessings that I have. It is not some distant destination, it is here and now for that is all any of us truly possess.

7 comments:

  1. An amazing observation. I am such a fan of your work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your descriptive explanation of your interaction with clay and the ongoing connections.
    I am sure your pots bring happiness to their new owners, imbued with the creative joy you have given to the forms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Euan,
    I still check your blog regularly, and draw inspiration and joy from it. how is Japan in July? For touring purposes, that is.
    I wrote now because I also lost texts when hitting the send button. The solution: mouse-copy it the moment you finish writing, so that even if the web page has expired, your pc will still have the text in it. You can paste it then, in case you need to.
    all the best to you and your family,
    yael moshe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to hear when people can allow things to happen.... not the way they want... but to have exceptance and be able to give over to the sovereignty of God. Your exceptance and joy is inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for your comments. It's important to take joy in the good things we have today, as it is very easy to let the days slip by without noticing.
    Thank also for your advice, Yael, and I'll email you soon.

    Euan

    ReplyDelete